The USNC is pleased to announce the following activities in support of U.S. participation in the 19th ICA General Assembly (GA), which is held at every second ICC (every fourth year), and will take place August 13 (full day) and 18 (morning), 2023, in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Nominations for ICA awards
- Proposals to the ICA General Assembly (including ICA Commissions and Working Groups)
- Submission of national delegates to the ICA
- Submission of 2023 U.S. National Report to the ICA
- Submission of obituaries for U.S. scholars and scientists
Please contact the USNC Chair, Aileen Buckley, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about these activities.
|12 February 2023||Submission of ICA award nominations closes|
|1 March 2023||Submission of U.S. proposals to the General Assembly closes|
|12 March 2023||Submission of proposals to the General Assembly closes, including Commissions and Working Groups|
|30 June 2023||Submission of national delegates to the ICA closes|
|12 July 2023||Submission of 2023 U.S. National Report to the ICA closes|
|15 July 2023||Submission to the USNC Chair of obituaries for U.S. scholars and scientists closes|
|31 July 2023||Submission to the ICA of obituaries for U.S. scholars and scientists closes|
Nominations for ICA awards
ICA National Members may nominate distinguished cartographers for ICA Awards. The deadline for such nominations is set as 12 February 2023. Nominations for ICA Awards should be sent to the ICA Secretary-General, Thomas Schultz, who will forward them to the ICA Awards Committee. The description of ICA awards is available on the ICA website at http://icaci.org/awards. Please read the criteria of each category carefully. Nominations will be accepted for the following three awards:
- Carl Mannerfelt Gold Medal
- ICA Honorary Fellowship
- Diplomas for outstanding services to ICA
Proposals to the ICA General Assembly
Each ICA National Member is entitled to make proposals to the General Assembly. These proposals must be submitted before 12 March 2023. Proposals can include:
- Motions for changes in ICA Statutes and any other motions for inclusion on the Agenda
- Nominations for positions on the ICA Executive Committee for 2023–2027
- Nominations for honorary auditors for 2023–2027
- Nominations for new and continuing ICA Commissions (to include proposed Terms of Reference, Chairperson, and CV) for 2023–2027
- Bids for the organisation of the 33rd International Cartographic Conference of the ICA and the 20th General Assembly (held in conjunction with the 33rd ICC); the call for bids will be launched on the ICA website on 1 December 2022: https://icaci.org/icc2027/.
Please send proposals by 1 March 2023 to the USNC Chair, Aileen Buckley, who will forward them to the ICA by the 12 March 2023 deadline.
Submission of national delegates to the ICA
Each ICA National Member is expected to officially nominate a principal delegate, along with a deputy delegate, who will attend the General Assembly (2 days) in person and will express the decisions of the respective member country by vote when appropriate. The names of delegates must be submitted to the ICA Secretary-General before 30 June 2023.
At the General Assembly, the delegates will be able to vote on all the submitted proposals, along with any other proposals submitted by delegates, as well as the ICA budget, acceptance of new National and Affiliate Members, and expulsion of National and Affiliate Members. Every member country has one vote – no matter how many delegates are present at the General Assembly
Submission of 2023 U.S. National Report to the ICA
Please see U.S. National Report for details.
Submission of obituaries for U.S. scholars and scientists
Sadly, revered and valued colleagues in our field have also left us forever during this term. The ICA Executive Committee would like to commemorate these colleagues during the General Assembly. If you would like to honour fellow colleagues from your country who have passed away in 2019–2023 and were active in ICA during their career or have had a connection to ICA and the global cartographic community, please send the following information by 15 July 2023 to the USNC Chair, Aileen Buckley, who will forward it to the ICA by 31 July 2023:
- Date of birth
- Date of death
- A photograph
- A link to relevant obituaries